-->

June 21, 2016

The Pointer Collection: A Variety of Tools for Tracking Text

To beat the heat this summer I'll be sharing things I plan to change or tweak in my room. Today I've been thinking about my readers and a simple way to help them.
A while back I started a collaborative Pinterest board called Pointers and Trackers Kids Want to Use.
I went through those pins the other day and it's a great collection of ideas. I teach a grade when most of my cuties are newly independent readers. Here's the rub. Most of them think pointers or text trackers aren't cool. Well that's not cool because I know they will still benefit from tracking!
Last year I kept it simple. Each kid got to decorate a popsicle stick to keep in their Book Bin. I found many kids used it because they made it. When the novelty wore off kids were allowed to trade if they wanted. This made it interesting again. I'm looking to my board to start collecting fun pointers to use during Guided Reading.
Here are the ideas I like a lot.
witch finger
Popsicle stick
drink stirrer
easy readers
Laser fingers

A few years back I bought a bunch of witch fingers at the dollar store. I gave them to the kids at the end of the year. Here are the contents of one of my student's book bin. You can see the finger.



I bet you all have ideas too. Are you interesting in joining my board? The rules are fairly simple. Pin no more than two related ideas a day. Follow the board then leave me a note either in the comments below or on my TpT thread with your Pinterest name.
Check it out some ideas may spark your creativity.
I also welcome any ideas you may want to share on how to integrate pointers and trackers in your routine so it isn't a battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!