-->

January 29, 2015

Why is this Desk Backwards?

One of my adorable little friends has a problem with organization. I bet you have a student like this too.
Her desk was so jumbled and cluttered she couldn't find the materials she needed. From the simple things - like a pencil or ruler -  to the more critical - a writing draft or her Reader's Notebook - it all eluded her in the 'Black Hole' that was her desk. She was stressed out. I was frustrated and, quite frankly, the other kids were beginning to pass judgement.

I realized this child needed help and resorted to a strategy I learned when I was a student teacher (oh, so many years ago). I turned her desk around. She is still part of a table grouping, yet only has a desktop.

I didn't make a big fuss as we sorted her desk contents and put it all in a basket to the side.

This has been a lifesaver for this child. 
I'm not going to fool you, the basket is a disorganized mess, BUT everything is contained. Most importantly, my little friend can find what she needs because it is all visible! I'd love to hear your ideas on how to help disorganized kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!